March 11, 2005

1 month in Scotland =)

+JMJ
Feastday of St. John Ogilvie (woohoo for Scottish saints!)

So on the 4th I made my one month mark in Scotland. It's so wierd to think that I've been here for that long....I think I've adjusted pretty good and the worst of culture shock is over. This past weekend I went with the International Society to St. Andrews. On the way there we stopped at Dunfermline Abbey and Palace. It was so beautiful! I would have loved to stick around and check things out but we had to get going. When we came into St. Andrews we first got a tour of the major sites and the town from a sweet older woman. We saw the ruins of the castle and the cathedral, and some parts of the university. Alas, no Prince William sightings! After the tour some friends and I went to grab some food and then made our way to the castle. It's mostly a ruin, but still really amazing, with great views of the sea. One of the coolest parts was the mine and countermine. The Catholics dug underneath the castle to take it by suprise, but the Protestants knew and were building a counter mine.

Check out the mine!

Then we explored some more and soon had to get back on the bus. All in all it was a great trip!

On another note, I'm making a reading list for myself. There are so many Catholic classics that I haven't read, I feel out of the loop! So here is the tentative list:

A Right to Be Merry -Mother Mary Francis
Story of A Soul -St. Therese of Lisieux
Diary of St. Faustina Kowalska
The Nun's Story -Kathryn Hulme
In This House of Brede -Rumer Godden
The Interior Castle -St. Teresa of Avila
Dialouge of St. Catherine of Siena (a must if I'm going be Dominican right?)
Letters to a Young Catholic -George Weigel

If anyone has any comments or suggestions for the list, please let me know! Also, if you have a blog and you want me to add you to the links, just drop me a comment. God bless!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?