March 27, 2005

Back from London!

+JMJ
Feastday of Blessed Francis FaĆ  di Bruno

First of all let me say HAPPY EASTER!
London was really great and I had such a wonderful time! I'm going to do a more detailed update soon, but I'll just go over the highlights:

*Big Ben & the Houses of Parliament
*Buckingham Palace ( we missed the Changing of the Guard 'cause we came on the wrong day....)
*National Portrait Gallery ( I got to see the Coronation Portrait, Ditchley Portrait, and the Darnerly Portrait; all of Elizabeth I. I really love studying about her life, I'm such a dork!)
*Piccadilly Circus (kinda like a smaller version of Times Square)
*National Gallery ( being an art history minor, I went NUTS in here. I also got a print of Sassoferrato's Virgin in Prayer .
*Seeing Robots in IMAX at the Science Museum
*Natural History Museum (although I still think the NYC one is better, and I'm not just saying that out of pride =)
*Seeing Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theatre (although we got totally ripped off on tickets, but more on that later....)
*Mass at Westminster Cathedral
*Meeting Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor

Mass today at the Cathedral was just amazing! I got there early enough for morning prayer and it was so uplifting. It was like being back in Nashville singing with all the Sisters! Right before Mass, I was looking through the program to see if I would recognize any songs. That's when I saw that a lot of the Mass was in Latin! I was really happy about that. Then the choir boys and men processed in and they sounded beautiful! The Cathedral was packed but I could still see a little bit. The Cardinal gave a really good homily, talking about the protection of life. He touched on Terri Schiavo, which made me really happy to hear. At the end of Mass I went over to where the Cardinal was greeting people and I was trying to shake his hand but kept getting pushed away. One of his ushers tapped him for me and said Your Eminence.... I shook his hand and thanked him for speaking about Terri.

For those of you that know me, I've been wanting to see the nuns of Tyburn Convent, since I've been over here. So after Mass, I asked on of the priests how to get there. He told me the bus and everything, but at that point I didn't think I'd have enough time to see them and get back for my train. I traveled pretty much all day because there were disruption on the lines and I got back to Stirling at around 8:30. Now that I know how to get to Tyburn, I am totally going to visit them at some point. I feel so nun-deprived! LOL. That's all for now, off to bed!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?