June 14, 2005

Convent Visit!

+JMJ
Feastday of St. Albert Chmielowski

Well, on Sunday I had Vespers and dinner with the Apostles of the Sacred Heart and it was great! I was so nervous walking up to the convent, but it was a good nervous, I can't really describe it....anyway, Sr. Colleen met me at the door and showed me up to the convent. It's on the the 7th floor about the school they teach in. The convent was really nice; holy and peaceful. We talked in the living room for a bit and I got to meet all the Sisters. There are only four living at that convent because one got cancer a while back and had to leave. The Sisters were so down-to-earth and funny! Most of them are from St. Louis so they were really anxious about the Cardinals v. Yankees game. At one point they were like wonder what the score is? then Sr. Doretta got this mischievous look and Sr. Colleen said oh go ahead and turn it on! So we watched the final five minutes of the game (the Cardinals won).

Next was Vespers which was soooo nice! The last time I prayed the Office was in October with the Dominicans and my soul had missed it! The funny thing is that I kept losing my place in the book and Sr. Colleen had to help me. See, in Nashville with 150+ Sisters I could hide, but with four I couldn't! So embarrassing...

After Vespers was dinner which was quite yummy. Something I found interesting is they don't have silence at meals. I didn't hit me until later and then I was like oh okay then. Dinner was so funny, just telling crazy stories and their vocation stories. Sr. Colleen also has a sister in the order, ain't that crazy? At one point they stopped and said, we've been talking all this time, do you have any questions for us? It was a funny moment. Before leaving Sr. Colleen gave me vocation info and discernment stuff. We also talked about pre-postulancy, which is something new to their community. Basically, it's geared to each particular situation. You keep your bank account and things but you can live in the community and work in their schools. It's a time for deeper discernment with no commitment. So in the end I really liked them and I wanna go back....NOW. LOL

Go check out their vocation site under the cool communities section of my links!


Comments:
Emily,

I'm so glad that your visit went well! I'm especially glad to hear that they are huge Cardinals fans instead of liking the Yankees! A few of my friends went to their school, Cor Jesu, in St. Louis. They loved the nuns there.

So are you still attracted to Nashville as much? I went down to visit the Sister Servants on a whim to "give them a fair shot" (meaning to rule them out so that I could join the Martyrs in Alton with a clear conscience that I looked into all the other religious orders that interested me). That fair shot worked out pretty good for me ;-)

Jenny

P.S. If you ever want to go nun running in St. Louis, I could show you the sights. I'm going to try to visit the Sister Servants in August, too.
 
Hey Jenny! In answer to your question about Nashville, it's kinda complicated. I LOVE the Nashville Sisters and could totally see myself there, but the Apostles would let me have more contact w/ my family, I would be more likely to teach high school and I could help them attract more young sisters. So it's kinda crazy in discernment-land!

Thank you for the offer of St. Louis sightseeing! I actually wanna get there someday :)

~Emily
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?