August 15, 2005

+JMJ
Feast of the Assumption (woohoo!)

Last weekend I went to the Visitation Sisters in Brooklyn and I had a really good time! The Sisters are monastic and contemplative, but leave their enclosure for an hour a day to teach religion at the Visitation Academy next door. When I walked up to the place, I was amazed at how huge it was, at least by NYC standards! I stayed in the retreatant wing which has a little living room/library which is really nice. One of the coolest things is this window that opens up overlooking the nuns chapel and the public church. It's was just a nice quiet spot.

One of the things I had to adjust to was the quiet. See, in the morning all the sisters are doing their chores so I was pretty much on my own. They keep silence during their work periods, and for breakfast and dinner. I did get to read a lot and just be with God which was great. I just needed to work with the quiet and find God there, if that makes sense.

The community has about 21 sisters, including a postulant, 2 novices and 4 in temporary vows. I wasn't able to be with the Sisters for recreation, but I did walk the grounds with two of the younger Sisters. Sr. Michelle (novice) was really sweet. She actually entered after leaving a Phd. program in psychology! Crazy....and Sr. Sharon (postulant) is from St. Lucia and sooo funny and cute! Right before I left she gave a card of Our Lady of Medjugorie, it was so nice!
So, here's the basic rundown of one of my days, in case y'all were interested LOL!
7:30-Morning Prayers
8:10-Mass
9ish- Breakfast
Reading, walking the grounds
11:30- Office of Readings
12:00-Lunch (yay for talking!)
1:00-Midday Prayer
more reading and stuff
3:00-Chaplet of Divine Mercy/Adoration
4:00-talk w/ Sr. Marie de Chantal (vocation director)
4:30-Evening Prayer
5:40ish-Dinner
Recreation/talk w/ Sr. Michelle
7:45-Night Prayer
10:00-Lights out
They are a great community, but I don't think they're for me. Their charism is humility, gentleness and kindness towards your neighbor, very beautiful for those who are into it, but not moi. Sr. Marie de Chantal invited me back anytime, even just to get my head clear. It was totally what I needed. I needed to see the contemplative life and just prove to myself that I could do it.

Comments:
hahah you are too funny! Thanks for the prayers and you know I'm praying for you too!
 
Hi Emily! I hope everythings going well! The sisters and I have started to look at me doing an aspirancy next year! (the Summit Dominicans) Not in January, as you'll be there, however, if it dates don't work out, I may stay for a week in January! Its exciting! Okies! well, lots of prayers!!!!!!!
 
Woah! I didnt know you had this blog, I just happened to find it while I was on MONIALES OP!

Awesome blog Emi!

~Amanda
 
Great blog post thanks for sharing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?