August 01, 2005

Visit to the Summit Dominicans!

Well, it seems that God continues to surprise(and confuse!) me. I took the train out to Summit NJ early in the morning and was met at the station by Greta, one of the aspirants. She was really sweet and she eased a lot of my nervousness. We got to the monastery and I got to talk to Sr. Mary Catherine for a while in the parlor. She really helped me understand cloistered life in a new way. Then it was time for Sext, one of the midday Offices of the Divine Office. It was so strange to hear the nuns, but not see them! They sounded very beautiful though. After that, it was time for lunch which I had with Fr. John Paul who is visiting the nuns. It was really nice to talk to him and swap stories.

After lunch the nuns have a "siesta" or quiet time. For this time I chilled in the guest room and read and just listened to the quiet. At 3 was None (another hour of the Office) and the Office of Readings. Afterwords I went back to the parlor to talk with Greta and Lisa (the two aspirants). It was so interesting to hear about how their aspirancies have been! Lisa had to leave for Adoration at 4:30 and Greta was soon kicked out (j/k!) by Sr. Mary Catherine because Sr. Mary Martin, the prioress was coming in. She was very nice and good hearted. A little bit before Sr.Mary Martin came in, I asked Sr. Mary Catherine if I could make an aspirancy! She said she didn't see why not!!! I still have to meet with the Monastery Council and get papers, but things are looking good :)At 5 there was Vespers, which was so beautiful. Right before Sr. Mary Catherine closed the curtain that separates the public from the nuns' choir, she waved to me, it was so cute!
Greta picked me up after Vespers and then I was back on the train. I left with a lot of peace, but some confusion as well. I still have a visit to the Visitation Sisters this weekend and I'm going back to the Apostles for Sr. Angela's first vows. Anyway, I'm trusting that God will lead me home.

Comments:
Hey Emily! I'm discerning a vocation as well and find your site very interesting and encouraging. God bless and good luck with your vocation!
 
Hi! Glad you like the blog! I'm so happy to hear that you're discerning. Which communities are you looking at??
 
Wow thats soudns wonderful!!!!! Yes things are highly confusing!!!!! Sounds like you might be entering into the cloister!!!!! But if they accept you thats a sign!!!!!! Good luck!!!! i wish i could find a comunity who would take me!!!!!
 
I would probably teach, so I'm looking into the Dominicans. I still have three years of school left, so I'm not in a big hurry to find a community yet, but the Dominicans are a possibility. Are there other teaching orders? Are you leaning more towards the contemplative life?
 
Hey again! In answer to your questions, they're are LOTS of teaching communities! I'll make a post about them because they're are sooo many of them. Also, yep, I am leaning towards contemplative life at the moment, but nothing is certain yet.
 
Dang, I'd be scared as heck to have a meeting with the council members. (Goosebumps)I was even a little nervous to find out that when I called to talk to Sister Judith Miryam that it was Sister Mary Martin who picked up the phone!!!!! And Sister Judith Miryam asked, "Who is it?" to which Sister Mary Martin replied, "A WOMAN!" And later in SJM's email to me she said, "Yes Amanda! You are blessed with a mature voice!!"
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?