November 29, 2005

Holy Advent

+JMJ
Feastday of St. Cuthbert Mayne

I think I can speak for many Catholics when I say "ack! how did we get to Advent already?!" Well it's true, last Sunday was the 1st Sunday of Advent. I think this is the first Advent when I've really understood what the season is all about. When I first learned that nuns are not allowed to write or receive mail during Advent (or Lent) I was really confused. I didn't get how Advent and Lent could be related.
Advent is a season of preparation; joyful waiting for the Christ Child. There is also a penitential dimension to Advent, which is reflected in the use of purple on the altar. It's very interesting in a culture where the Christmas preparations and shopping is being hyped, the Church gives the opposite message. We are supposed to slow down and reflect what the coming of Jesus means to each one of us. Just as the austerity of Holy Week and Good Friday prepares us for the joy of Easter, so should the silence of Advent prepare us for the joy of Christmas.

In the spirit of the season, I got myself a virtual advent wreath! If you want one for your blog, just go to the Curt Jester and he'll hook you up.

I might not be blogging for a bit while I'm finishing my thesis and my semester, but have a very blessed Advent!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?